Julian Nagelsmann’s side has performed a turnaround to defeat PSG.
Leipzig have come from behind to beat PSG 2-2 at Red Bull Arena.
The visitors were handed the lead after Dayot Upamecano made a sloppy mistake, which Angel Di Maria didn’t fail to finish from a Moise Kean assist.
After Keylor Navas was tested by Leipzig, a penalty was awarded at another end. Di Maria stepped up to double the lead, but his shot was saved by Peter Gulasci.
The Argentine hadn’t thought of how costly his missed chance would be before Christopher Nkunku levelled it up for the Red Bulls. The young midfielder scored against his former club, after being picked out by Angelino. Di Maria and Moise Kean also had two goals ruled out as offside.
Leipzig went on to double the lead in the second half when a penalty was awarded in their favour due to Presnal Kimpembe’s handball.
Unlike Di Maria, Emil Forsberg completed the penalty, thereby also scoring the winning goal for Leipzig.
PSG duo Idrissa Guye and Kimpembe were also sent off after being shown two yellows, thus making it a gruesome day at the office for Thomas Tuchel and the entire squad.
The win is also considered as retribution for Leipzig as they lost to PSG in the semi-finals of Champions League last season.
Elsewhere, it remains to be seen what consequences could the defeat bring on Thomas Tuchel, who has already lost to Manchester United on Matchday 1.
The game is also an indication why Neymar and Mbappe are more than an indispensable asset for PSG.
Other Matches today,
- Club Brugge 0-3 Dortmund: Unstoppable Haaland fires a brace
- Ferencvaros 1-4 Juventus: Morata double seals 3-points for Juventus
- Sevilla 3-2 Krasnodar: Rakitic, En-Nesyri led a comeback win
- Barcelona 2-1 Kyiv: Barcelona edge past Dynamo Kyiv
- Chelsea 3-0 Rennes: Werner double keeps Chelsea on top of Group
- Man United slip to a shock 2-1 defeat against Basaksehir
- Zenit 1-1 Lazio: Caicedo grabs late equaliser for Lazio