Bundesliga title contender RB Leipzig beat Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 at Tottenham Stadium, as their star scorer Timo Werner scored from a penalty at 58th minute of the match. Hence, Spurs have an arduous task in hand, to keep their Champions League hopes alive when they will meet RB Leipzig at Red Bull Arena in the second leg of the round of 16 ties.
Before the game actually began, it seems Spurs knew the outcome. They lost their another prolific striker, Son Heung-min with a broken arm, after captain Harry Kane who suffered a hamstring issue and is recapturing from that. Both of them are not expected to return this season. In this context, it was a huge task to beaten more convincingly than the scoreline suggests as the side-lying second in the Bundesliga demonstrated their growing stature.
It was only Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris’s brilliance and huge luck that RB Leipzig have to be contented with only one goal lead from their away match.
Within a minute of the game starts, RB Leipzig created two goal-scoring opportunities. Lloris saved Angelino’s shot on to the post and saved from Werner when the game was one minute old, later denying the striker once more from point-blank range.
French Goalkeeper had an otherwise great day, the only exception being Werner’s drilled spot-kick. Spurs defender Ben Davies fouled Konrad Laimer to concede the spot-kick, but he also provided a crucial block from Patrik Schick.
Spurs finally came back after 70 minutes after a double change. Tanguy Ndombele and Eric Lamela were introduced to replace Dele Ali and Gedson Fernandes. This also changed the complexion of the game. The duo, recuperating from injuries provided Spurs much-needed impetus.
Leipzig keeper Peter Gulacsi saved Giovani Lo Celso’s free-kick on to the post and Eric Lamela’s free-kick for a corner. He also saved Steven Bergwijn volley early in the match. Lucas Moura had another golden chance to level at the end of the match- but his attempt went over the bar.
- Erling Haaland Transfer: Why Barcelona didn’t sign 19-year-old
- Neymar attributes tame performance to PSG’s handling of injury
- Atalanta 4-1 Valencia: Atalanta almost in quarter final
- RB Leipzig 1-0 Tottenham: Timo Werner scored from a penalty
- Tottenham vs RB Leipzig: Son out with injury, Spurs desperate for options
- Dortmund 2-1 PSG: Haaland prevails over Neymar-Mbappe with a double
- Atletico 1-0 Liverpool: Simeone’s Masterclass at Wanda Metropolitano
- PSG vs Dortmund: Neymar-Mbappe vs Haaland-Sancho – Winner?
- Atletico vs Liverpool: Felix out, Costa back, Can Simeone stop Liverpool?
- Man United 2-0 Chelsea: VAR decided the fate of the high-octane match