Valencia beat Barcelona 2-0 at Mestalla, as Quique Setien suffered his first defeat as Barcelona manager. Maxi Gomez, 22-year-old Uruguayan scored twice to seal a deserved win for the hosts. It could have been more humiliating for Barcelona. Marc-Andre ter Stegen saved an early penalty by Lopez, and Gabriel had a goal ruled out by VAR.
Barcelona were lucky, as Marc-Andre ter Stegen went the right way and saved Maxi Gomez’s spot-kick. Gerard Pique conceded the penalty on 10 minutes for a foul on Jose Gaya when he was through on goal.
The German keeper made few superb saves today. He had to be on hand to save an own goal by Pique after a clearance had hit the centre-back. He also made a double saved from Gomez and Kevin Gameiro and denied Francis Coquelin from a distance.
Valencia vs Barcelona – Goals
Valencia got the goal they deserved right after the break. Maxi Gomez found his first goal of the match when his shot from inside the box took a big deflection off Jordi Alba and went in.
Quique Setien brought Arturo Vidal in place of Arthur just before the hour mark, and Barca began to make some chances finally.
Lionel Messi looked set to equalise but was denied by a brilliant block from Gabriel, and his shot went just past the post. He forced Valencia goalie Domenech into a decent save from a free-kick.
Barcelona were pushing hard for an equaliser but were undone, as Maxi Gomez scored his second of the day through a counter-attack. Ferran Torres picked out the striker, and he sent the ball curling past Ter Stegen to seal all three points.
Barcelona had all the possession and statistics in their favour. Perhaps this is where the veteran Uruguayan was painfully missed in Barca attack. Now, Real Madrid have a great opportunity to take three points lead if they win against Valladolid tomorrow.
- Barcelona 0-2 Valencia: Maxi Gomez hands Setien first La Liga defeat
- Milan 1-0 Brescia: Rebic scored, Milan at sixth spot in Serie-A
- Dortmund 5:1 Köln – Haaland scored double in Dortmund win
- Is Manchester United bringing back Carlos Tevez in a loan deal
- Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang agrees to join Barcelona
- Liverpool survive fierce Wolves attack, to clinch 2-1 win
- 10-man Arsenal fight back to earn 2-2 draw against Chelsea
- Dortmund 5:3 Augsburg – Haaland hat-trick on debut
- Liverpool beats Manchester United 2-0, to extend Premier League lead
- Spurs 0-0 Watford: Gazzaniga saves penalty, Mourinho asks for patience