Bayern Munich thrashed Schalke 5-0 at Allianz Arena, to move to the second spot in Bundesliga, a point behind league leaders RB Leipzig. Robert Lewandowski scored his 21st Bundesliga goal in 19 games so far this season.
Robert Lewandowski did not miss the chance to score when Schalke goalkeeper Markus Schubert fumbled a cross by Thomas Muller. The Poland international capitalised on Schubert’s error to provide Bayern with the lead.
Welsh forward Rabbi Matondo almost scored the equaliser for when his shot from the top of the box hit the crossbar after deflection, but Bayern continued to lay siege to the visitors’ goal. Muller’s instinctive finish was ruled out for offside before VAR disallowed Lewandowski’s powerful effort after full-back Benjamin Pavard had strayed into an offside position.
Germany striker Muller converted Goretzka’s knock-down on the stroke of half-time for his 100th Bayern goal in all competitions at Allianz Arena. After break Leon Goretzka, Thiago Alcantara and Serge Gnabry extend the winning margin.
The Polish striker is the first player to net 21 goals in the opening 19 matches in a Bundesliga season after Gerd Muller in 1972-73. Only Gerd Müller had ever reached 21 goals in the first 19 games of a season (1972/73), before Lewandowski, who is now back ahead of Timo Werner as the league’s top scorer.
Former Schalke midfielder Goretzka scored next, five minutes into the second half before Lewandowski assisted Thiago for a simple finish eight minutes later.
Second-half substitute Gnabry ensured another comprehensive victory in the final minute, beating Schubert from the edge of the area after cutting in from the left flank.
Bundesliga leaders RB Leipzig slipped to a surprise 2-0 defeat at Eintracht Frankfurt during Saturday. They still lead the Bundesliga table with 40 points, whereas Bayern are closely following with 39 points.
- Juventus 1:2 Napoli – Sarri’s Juve lost to Napoli, Ronaldo scored
- PSG 2:0 Lille – Neymar remember Kobe Bryant after second goal
- Inter 1:1 Cagliari – Martinez saw red, to be handed 3 match ban
- Bayern 5-0 Schalke: Lewandowski scores, Bayern at second spot
- Barcelona 0-2 Valencia: Maxi Gomez hands Setien first La Liga defeat
- Milan 1-0 Brescia: Rebic scored, Milan at sixth spot in Serie-A
- Dortmund 5:1 Köln – Haaland scored double in Dortmund win
- Is Manchester United bringing back Carlos Tevez in a loan deal
- Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang agrees to join Barcelona
- Liverpool survive fierce Wolves attack, to clinch 2-1 win
- 10-man Arsenal fight back to earn 2-2 draw against Chelsea
- Dortmund 5:3 Augsburg – Haaland hat-trick on debut