Manchester United crushed Club Brugge 5-0 at Old Trafford in the Round-of-32 match in Europa League. As Manchester United marched into the last 16 with style, they looked like a completely different team and are serious contenders for a second Europa League crown in three years.
Manchester United vs Club Brugge – Context
First leg match between these two ended in 1-1 draw. Manchester United moved into Round-of-16 with 6-1 win in aggregate.
Manchester United had struggled previously in Premier League and Europa League. But they were unbeaten for last six matches after Bruno Fernandez joined the club in January window.
Odion Ighalo also started for Manchester United in place of injured Anthony Martial. Mata and James accompanied Ighalo in attacking. Fred and Scott McTominay were in midfield along with Bruno. Scott returned to the team after almost two months. In goal, de Gea was rested and Romero started in his place.
Manchester United vs Club Brugge – Goals
- Bruno Fernandes scored his second Manchester United goal from a penalty within in a week. The penalty was awarded when Simon Deli blocked Daniel James’ goal-bound shot and was sent off .
- The new signee, who was the inspiration of Manchester United moves, had a hand in the second as he lifted a pass over the top to Juan Mata, who squared for full debutant Ighalo to tap in from six yards.
- Scott McTominay, making his first start following an injury, side-footed in a third to wrap the tie up before half-time.
- Fred scored his first two goals of the season in the final 10 minutes as United got the big scoreline their performance deserved.
What the scoreboard won’t tell
- Another scintillating performance by new recruit – Bruno Fernandes. After first-leg display, today’s match looked like a match between different sides Fernandes’s vision gives United a new dimension and elevates his teammates.
- Manchester United have overwhelming statistics in their favour too. They have fired 28 shot (10 on target) as compared to 7 shot ( zero on target) by their opponent. They also had two-third ball possession during the match.
- Harry Maguire was denied by a goalline block from a corner while Juan Mata brought an excellent save out of Simon Mignolet, who then did brilliantly to deny Bruno Fernandes twice with his first save, tipping a piledriver onto the post, particularly special.
Result and Conclusion
- Fred netted two goals and assisted one in the game, after managing just one goal and three assists in his previous 59 United appearances.
- United have won more penalties (15) and scored more penalties (11) in all competitions this season than any other Premier League side.
- Odion Ighalo is the first African player to score for United in all competitions since Eric Bailly in August 2017 against Swansea in the Premier League.
It was a great moment, I have been waiting for this since making my debut… I have it now and it starts my goal career here at the team I have supported since I was a little boy.Odion Ighalo, Manchester United
I’m very happy. When you score goals and play like this, you’ll get more confidence. It was brilliant to see the start of the game. They had the right intent and created loads of chances. The game was more or less over after the red card.Ole Gunnar Solskjær, Manchester Manager on Team Performance
He’s in the middle of the season so he’s fit. He was in good form. We felt he was something we needed. It was a ready-made position for him.Ole Gunnar Solskjær, Manchester Manager on Bruno Fernandez
I think as a fellow [former United] striker I know how important that first goal is. He is there where it sometimes hurts and that goal, was sharp, on the six-yard line when Juan puts it there: that’s a natural striker.Ole Gunnar Solskjær, Manchester Manager on Ighalo’s first goal
- Europa League: Round of 32 – Results and beyond; All you want to know
- Lyon 1-0 Juventus: Juve face uphill task after shock defeat
- Real 1-2 Man City: Pep masterclass; Real conceded lead at home
- Juventus vs Lyon: Juventus to start as favourite at Parc Olympique Lyonnais
- Manchester City vs Real Madrid Prediction: Odds are evenly poised…
- Bayern 3-0 Chelsea: Champions league all but over for Chelsea
- Napoli 1-1 Barcelona: Barca brought back the decider to Camp Nou
- Barcelona vs Napoli: Barca to meet Napoli, Messi in fine form
- Bayern vs Chelsea: Lampard cautioned Chelsea for Bayern encounter
- Atalanta 4-1 Valencia: Atalanta almost in quarter final
- RB Leipzig 1-0 Tottenham: Timo Werner scored from a penalty
- Dortmund 2-1 PSG: Haaland prevails over Neymar-Mbappe with a double
- Atletico 1-0 Liverpool: Simeone’s Masterclass at Wanda Metropolitanoitano