- Manchester City was stunned by Lyon in the Group F match of Champions League match.
- City started with Kompany and Aguero on bench, Mendy was out with a knee injury, and Kevin De Bryune is expected to return in mid-November.
- Lyon shocked Manchester City with attacking game. Laporte hit bar, when his head from a cross was denied by post.
- Maxwell Cornet scored at 26′, as Delph failed to clear a Fekir cross. Nabil Fekir extend the lead at 43′ to take 2-0 lead before break.
- It could have been 3-0 when Depay hit the post on the hour.
- Manchester came back with Leroy Sane (substituted Gundogan) introduction at 55′, whereas Aguero substituted Jesus at 63′
- City earned themselves a lifeline through Bernardo Silva, who produced a smart finish after a superb jinking run from substitute Leroy Sane. Lyon, however, smothered City’s attack well and kept chances to a minimum in the latter stages as they held on for an impressive victory.
- Pep Guardiola serving two-match suspension in the stand.
As the Match Progressed
Manchester City had 63% ball possession and 23 attempts for goal, whereas Lyon had 11 attempts. City had 8 of them on target, whereas Lyon had 3 of them on target.
Nabil Fekir, Lyon captain: “The key was our togetherness, we were together as a group, and worked hard for one another, and we managed to control the intensity. I wasn’t thinking about myself, the most important thing was the team won and put in a great performance. It gives us hope, we know we’re not in an easy group with Shakhtar and Hoffenheim but if we play like that in every game we have a chance. ”
How we line-up in the #UCL tonight! 🙌
City XI | Ederson, Walker, Stones, Laporte, Delph, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Silva (C), Bernardo, Sterling, Jesus
— Manchester City (@ManCity) September 19, 2018
— Olympique Lyonnais (@OL) September 19, 2018