- Bayern Munich beats Benfica 2-0 at Estádio da Luz, Lisbon.
- James Rodriguez making his first start of the season and Sanches a surprise inclusion against his boyhood club.
- Robert Lewandowski scored with his first chance at 9′, casually slotting home from the top of the box, to score his 46th career Champions League goal
- Renato Sanches Sanches returned for a surprise first start in 410 days. Sanches wouldn’t have started if Thiago hadn’t hurt his big toe in training, but the former Golden Boy winner seized his chance to notch his first ever Bayern goal in 27 appearances. In fact, his last competitive goal came back in January 2016 (for Benfica). He lapped up the faith entrusted in him by Kovac and was heavily involved in the build-up to the opening goal before finishing off the move he started deep in his own half with the second on 54 minutes. Benfica’s fans showed their appreciation for their ex-academy product with rousing applause.
- Manuel Neuer displayed fine reflex saves in each half to keep another clean sheet.
- Thomas Muller, who came as substitution for Javi Martinez at 88′, made 100th Champions League match appearance.
- Benfica which had major success in European league in Sixties, are yet to score for 570 minutes.
- Rodriguez, Ribery and Robben had their moments of brilliance.
— UEFA Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) September 19, 2018
As the Match Progressed
Bayern Munich had 56% ball possession and 13 attempts for goal, whereas Benfica had 14 attempts. Bayern had 6 of them on target, whereas Benfica had 4 of them on target.