The Indian Super League 2019-20 season recently concluded, as ATK from Kolkata won the title for a record third time, the most in history of the league. ATK defeated two-time champions Chennaiyin FC in the final to lift the ISL championship trophy.
But its FC Goa, who will get a chance to participate in AFC champions league(ACL) in 2021, as this Goa based outfit were League topper in ISL, which comprised of ten team, competing home and away basis. FC Goa won the first-ever League Winners Shield and also became the first Indian club to reach the ACL group stage.
Apart from foreign players, a total of 180 Indian players from 17 different states and one Union Territory featured in the sixth season. Manipur (26) had the most number of players plying their trade in the cash-rich league, followed by West Bengal (24) and Punjab and Mizoram (22).
So, those four states are top Indian contributors and sent 52% of Indian footballers, whereas Maharashtra and Goa came fifth and sixth respectively, each sent 10% of the footballers. So these six states together sent 72% of the Indian Super League players.
- Indian Super League
- ISL 2020-21: Changes in Regulation for teams and League Structure
- ATK 3-1 Chennayin: Habas led ATK’s third ISL crown win at Fatorda
- Bengaluru 1-3 ATK: Habas’s ATK made a thrilling comeback at home
- ISL Semi, First-leg, Bengaluru 1-0 ATK: Can ATK overturn at home?
- European and Other Leagues
- Coronavirus: Real Madrid set up Santiago Bernabeu as supplies hub
- Coronavirus: Teams from Chinese Super League started training
- Mikel Arteta opens up on contracting Coronavirus, Isolation & Recovery
- Coronavirus: Messi, Alisson in FIFA Campaign against COVID-19
- Speculation on Cristiano Ronaldo’s next move to Paris