Chelsea manager Frank Lampard has explained the importance of having experienced players how they could affect the run-in.
The Blues are fighting to be in the top four this season and Lampard thinks that the likes of Willian and Giroud will be invaluable for his squad in the remaining games.
Lampard said: “It was always going to be important for the experienced players to play a part at the beginning. The academy, younger players that have come through is a really good story, for the club a great story, but you need the balance of the group. Sometimes people have said I played the younger players because I had to play them but that wasn’t true. I played them when they had played well enough to keep themselves in the team and really contribute. As the season goes on, if I feel it goes the other way I pick the team that I feel is best and that’s when you rely on experienced players. I guess you’re talking about players like Willian, Olivier Giroud and others. That balance is always important.”
“They need to help each other,” he added. “The experienced players need to help the young players in difficult moments throughout the season. The young players need to realise there are levels to kick on and improve in matches or how they improve during the week.”
Both Willian and Giroud have plenty of experience and they have played under pressure. Chelsea’s young players could use a bit of guidance and help from them right now.
Chelsea will have be under pressure to win most of their remaining games and they will need the right balance of youth and experience to get through this period.
Willian has shown his quality in the recent weeks and Giroud could be a very useful player as well.
The likes of Abraham and Pulisic are fantastic young players but they couldn’t have scored the vital goals Willian chipped in with against City or West Ham.
It will be interesting to see if the Blues can finish in the top four and secure Champions League football for the next season.
Manchester United are breathing down their necks and they cannot afford any slip-ups.
- PSG agreed conditionally on Neymar return to Barcelona
- Mason Greenwood – former players praised United player
- Manchester United signed Nemanja Matic, to loan out Eric Bailly
- Barcelona 4-1 Villarreal: Barcelona kept La Liga hope alive
- Liverpool 2-0 Aston Villa: Mane, Jones scored at Anfield
- Southampton 1-0 Man City: Adams scores from 40 yards
- Real 1-0 Athletic: Ramos scored the winner from spot
- Arsenal 2-0 Wolves: Six Talking points
- Man United 5-2 Bournemouth: Greenwood, Rashford, Martial, Bruno scored
- Juventus 4-1 Torino: Ronaldo scored 25th goal of this season
- Barcelona star Lionel Messi linked with a move away from Camp Nou
- Bayern 4-2 Bayer: Bayern won DFB-Pokal, Lewandowski broke records
- Klopp: Liverpool won’t spend much during this summer transfer