It can be recalled that Paris Saint-Germain had a long discussion with Barcelona on Neymar transfer last summer. The proposed deal also reportedly included some of Barcelona stars crossing borders to the French capital in a swap deal. It was widely reported that Neymar was ready to put his own money in the agreement, along with pay-cuts at Barcelona.
Barcelona players reportedly agreed to the pay cut to ease financial stress due to the deal.
Though the deal did not see the light of the day, the French champions agreeing to let him go this year provided he remained committed to the club throughout the 2019-20 season.
As it stands now, Neymar has scored 18 goals and registered ten assists, in 22 appearances during the current season. With PSG crowned as Ligue 1 champions and awaiting UEFA Champions League quarter-finals, PSG feel he has honoured his side of the bargain.
Now it’s up to current La Liga champions Barcelona to pay the asking price, which is in the range of €170 million (£153m). With Coronavirus pandemic doing havoc on club financials it would be interesting to see if Barcelona could manage that kind of money into the deal when its players had taken seventy per cent pay-cut this season.
Barcelona could reduce the outlay by including its star-players in the transfer deal, with Frenchmen Griezmann, Umtiti and Dembelé be the likely options. They have to also decide on the court proceedings.
It would appear that the salary agreement made last summer between the player’s father and Barcelona would remain, while the transfer price could be around 170 million euros.
From Barcelona standpoint, it will appease its supporters and Lionel Messi, who was asking for this deal to happen for a long time. Messi reportedly also offered Neymar to lead the attack at Camp Nou once the Argentinian hangs boot in future.
From PSG standpoint, they perhaps planned the departures of their stars (Neymar and Kylian Mbappe) this summer. But the pandemic may hold the clubs from big spendings on big stars during the summer transfer window.
- Mason Greenwood – former players praised United player
- Lampard outlines the importance of having Willian and Giroud
- Manchester United signed Nemanja Matic, to loan out Eric Bailly
- Barcelona 4-1 Villarreal: Barcelona kept La Liga hope alive
- Liverpool 2-0 Aston Villa: Mane, Jones scored at Anfield
- Southampton 1-0 Man City: Adams scores from 40 yards
- Real 1-0 Athletic: Ramos scored the winner from spot
- Arsenal 2-0 Wolves: Six Talking points
- Man United 5-2 Bournemouth: Greenwood, Rashford, Martial, Bruno scored
- Juventus 4-1 Torino: Ronaldo scored 25th goal of this season
- Barcelona star Lionel Messi linked with a move away from Camp Nou
- Bayern 4-2 Bayer: Bayern won DFB-Pokal, Lewandowski broke records
- Klopp: Liverpool won’t spend much during this summer transfer