The Dutch international joined the Clarets from Wolfsburg for £12.6million in the January transfer window as a replacement for Chris Wood. But he could do very little to keep the Turf Moor side in the Premier League after scoring only twice in 20 games.
But he was on the score sheet in his last international appearance, scoring the winner as Holland beat Wales 2-1 on Wednesday. Speaking after the game, Weghorst said he believes he cannot afford to be in the second tier with the World Cup just five months away.
“My future won’t be next year in Burnley,” said Weghorst.
“I won’t go into the Championship – not that I feel too good for it, absolutely not.
“I am just really ambitious and also it’s about the national team. The coach Louis van Gaal wants us to play at a high level.
“There are some options for me in a higher potential of the league than the Championship. I have to take the chances offered there. We will see what the future will bring.”
Burnley’s relegation means they will take a significant financial hit and are likely to listen to offers for their best players.
“I really hope they will return directly to the Premier League. I don’t feel I have been that successful in England so far.” Weghorst added.