Real Madrid beat Getafe to briefly move back to the top of La Liga table at Coliseum Alfonso Pérez, as Raphael Varane forced two goals from header.
For the first goal, goalkeeper David Soria looked like deflecting the ball into his own net as he tried to punch away a header from Raphael Varane. Varane then headed home from Toni Kroos’ free-kick – a decision which was withheld after a long VAR review to check for offside. Luka Modric added a third for Real Madrid during injury time from Federico Valverde’s pass. Valverde did the all hardwork to set the ball for Croatian, for to tap in.
- La Liga
- Real Madrid 3-0 Getafe: Raphael Varane scored double
- Atletico Madrid 2-1 Levante: Atletico won fourth time in a row
- Barcelona 2-2 Espanyol: Barcelona conceded lead after De Jong red
- Serie A
- Juventus 4-0 Cagliari: Ronaldo scores first Serie-A hat-trick
- Milan 0-0 Sampdoria: Zlatan comes as substitute on Milan return
- Inter 3-1 Napoli: Lukaku and Martinez put Inter at the top of Serie-A
Previously Gareth Bale forced Soria into two saves, and had also contributed in Modric’s late goal, but the Wales forward has not scored for Real since 1st September.
Seventh-placed Getafe had their share of chances, as statistics show 15 shots to Real’s ten – but rarely threatened goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.
Barcelona later regained their top-slot on Saturday when they drew 2-2 with Espanyol.