Inter Milan striker Romelu Lukaku claimed that 23 of 25 Inter players were sick in January, though none of them were tested for the Coronavirus.
Northern Italy has been hit hard by the epidemic, especially Lombardy, though no Nerazzurri players have tested positive for the virus thus far.
“We had a week off in December, we returned to work and I swear that 23 out of 25 players were ill” he told Kat Kerkhofs, wife of Napoli striker Dries Mertens, during an Instagram Live video.
“I am not kidding. We played against Radja Nainggolan’s Cagliari and after about 25 minutes, one of our defenders [Milan Skriniar] had to leave the pitch. He could not continue and almost fainted.
“When I warmed up, I was hotter than usual. I hadn’t had a fever in years. After the match there was a dinner with guests from Puma, but I thanked and them and went straight to bed.
“We weren’t tested for the virus at that time, so we’ll never know for certain.”
- COVID-19: United Serie A consent to end 2019-20 season
- COVID-19: Bundesliga could return as early as May 9
- Manchester United not to pursue Harry Kane for £150m
- Messi’s ultimate XI-Teammates with most outings
- PSG offer Neymar new €740k/week contract until 2025
- Manchester City sign Kluiverth Aguilar for £1.5m
- Kylian Mbappe will cost £35m, claims French politician
- Coronavirus outbreak in Madeira 20km from the Ronaldo home
- Newcastle to appoint Mauricio Pochettino as new Manager?