Douglas Costa has caused a huge stir among fans – by claiming Cristiano Ronaldo is not the best player at Juventus, and instead chose Paulo Dybala as the best.
The Portuguese has enjoyed yet another stellar campaign at Juventus this season, and is the club’s top goalscorer with 21 goals in Serie A.
Those exploits helped the Serie A champion, lead Lazio by one point in the league before the coronavirus pandemic halted league proceedings.
Douglas Costa on Instagram
Previously the Brazilian has been forced to play second fiddle to Ronaldo under boss Maurizio Sarri. It seems Costa doesn’t rate the Portuguese as the best asset in Turin based outfit.
Instead, Costa believes the title of ‘the best in Juventus’ belongs to Paulo Dybala, who has managed 13 goals and 7 assists this season.
When asked over the best player at the club in an Instagram Q&A, he said: “The strongest companion is Paulino, Dybala. Then of course also Ronaldo.”
Comparison of Ronaldo and Dybala for 2019-20 Season
|Cristiano Ronaldo||Paulo Dybala|
|Minutes / Goal||113||160|
|Minutes / Goal Involvement||101||104|
|Chances Created / 90 Minutes||1.43||2.82|
Football post Pandemic
Meanwhile, it emerged recently that Juventus may be forced to sell Ronaldo because of the devastating financial implications, according to Il Messagero, who claim they may not be able to afford the superstar’s salary.
Ronaldo has already taken a £3.4million hit on his £28m-a-year wage this week. A study recently published by the CIES Football Observatory has said that owing to the virus, transfer fees will drop by around 28 per cent, meaning Juve will only recoup around £60m of the £100m they paid Real Madrid in 2018.
Meanwhile there has been contradictory reports on Argentinian, as he was linked to transfer swap involving Paul Pogba, and in another report suggests Juventus is negotiating for a lifelong deal with Argentinian.
Experts have predicted that there will be huge change post pandemic outbreak and football will be no exception.
- Premier League planning to return to training on May 9
- COVID-19: United Serie A consent to end 2019-20 season
- COVID-19: Bundesliga could return as early as May 9
- Manchester United not to pursue Harry Kane for £150m
- Messi’s ultimate XI-Teammates with most outings
- PSG offer Neymar new €740k/week contract until 2025
- Manchester City sign Kluiverth Aguilar for £1.5m
- Kylian Mbappe will cost £35m, claims French politician
- Coronavirus outbreak in Madeira 20km from the Ronaldo home
- Newcastle to appoint Mauricio Pochettino as new Manager?