Borussia Dortmund beat SC Freiburg 1-0 in Signal Aduna Park in front of 81,365 spectators, as Jadon Sancho scored the solitary goal in the first half.
Borussia Dortmund vs SC Freiburg – Context
- Julian Brandt returned to the starting eleven after a break of three weeks due to an ankle ligament tear.
- BVB started this week at fourth position in Bundesliga, four points behind leader Bayern Munich.
Borussia Dortmund vs SC Freiburg – Goal
Brandt put the ball through on Thorgan Hazard along the left flank, Hazard, in turn put a elegant cross from the left. Sancho pushed the ball into back of the net at 15th minute of the match.
What the scoreboard won’t tell
- Erling Haaland was only on the bench after nine goals in his first six Bundesliga games. According to the club’s announcement, the Norwegian had to deal with an inflammation of the stomach during the week. With great applause, Haaland came into play in the 62nd minute, replacing Brandt.
- Sancho missed the right (52nd minute) and Brandt also aimed a little too imprecisely (61th minute). For the visitors who then came close to scoring an equaliser, Schmidt was too inaccurate (68th minute) and Lukasz Piszczek made a wonderful goal-line clearance to keep his side in front.
Result and Conclusion
As the end, BVB manager Lucien Favre will have been disappointed , as his side could not build on their early goal but equally relieved to earn three points as they remain on title trail after Bayern. Bayern remain at the top, with 6-0 win against Hoffenheim.
- Bayern 6-0 Hoffenheim: Bayern crushed host before game interruption
- Dortmund 1-0 Freiburg: Jadon Sancho kept Borussia in title hunt
- Liverpool EPL Title: When & Where? Can they still miss it?
- Manchester United 5-0 Brugge: United looked like a different team
- Europa League: Round of 32 – Results and beyond; All you want to know
- Lyon 1-0 Juventus: Juve face uphill task after shock defeat
- Real 1-2 Man City: Pep masterclass; Real conceded lead at home