RB Leipzig conceded the chance to put themselves in the second spot of Bundesliga, as 10-men Leipzig outfit was forced to 2-2 draw by Hertha Berlin at Red Bull Arena.
The club from Berlin registered their 40th win against the rival union in Berlin derby last weekend.
There was one change for Julian Nagelsmann’s side. It’s Patrick Schick who came in the in place of Yussuf Poulsen in the attack. Leipzig have maintained a three-man defence in recent weeks and will have to wait out and see if our that is how the lineup tonight. Conrad Leymar good dropped a ride to complete a full man now I’m backline.
Hertha vs Leipzig – Goals
The visitors opened the scoring when Liverpool loanee Marko Grujic got his leg to the ball from Marvin Plattenhardt’s corner. Leipzig levelled through Lukas Klostermann’s header from Nkunku corner.
Patrik Schick put Leipzig ahead at 68′, but Hertha made it 2-2 through Krzysztof Piatek’s 82′ penalty. The spot-kick was awarded when former Everton forward Ademola Lookman fouled Matheus Cunha. Piatek calmly finished denying Leipzig the three points.
Leipzig outfit then went down to 10 men when Marcel Halstenberg was dismissed with a second yellow card at 63rd minute of the match.
RB Leipzig could go to the second spot of Bundesliga table with a win today, in that hypothetical situation they would have same points as Borussia Dortmund but would be ahead with better goal difference. The result also ended their slim hope to be in contention of Bundesliga race.
Now they have to fight with Bayer Leverkusen and Borussia Monchengladbach for Champion league spot, as both teams are very closely following, and with six matchdays remaining a margin of two points would not be safe.
Hertha vs Leipzig – Starting Eleven
- Arsenal Transfer Update: David Luiz, Coutinho, Matt Smith
- Man United Transfer Update: Camavinga, Ighalo, Sancho-Sanchez Swap
- Liverpool Transfer Update: Houssem Aouar, Timo Werner, Kylian Mbappe
- Chelsea is interested in £22.4m Ajax left-back Nicolas Tagliafico
- Mourinho confirmed Tottenham players are fit after injury layoffs
- PSG-Inter agreement reached on Mauro Icardi?
- Hertha 2-2 Leipzig: Leipzig conceded second spot with a draw