Cristiano Ronaldo flew back to home at Madeira to be with his mother in hospital after she suffered a stroke, as reports in Portugal claimed.
Mother-of-four Dolores Aveiro is said to have been admitted to Dr Nelio Mendonca Hospital in Madeira just after 5am this morning.
Local media say she is ‘conscious and stable.’ She is due to undergo new tests in the next few hours to determine her state of health.
Reports say that the Juventus star is flying to the Portuguese island on a private jet today and will return to Italy tomorrow to play in a cup semi-final against Milan.
‘All we can say is that he’s not at training for personal reasons,’ a Juventus spokesman said without giving further details.
One local report says Dolores has suffered an ischemic stroke, caused by a blood clot that blocks or plugs a blood vessel in the brain. This is the most common type of stroke.
Reports say Dolores is resting after receiving mechanical thrombectomy, a technique which involves the removal of a blood clot from the artery through a catheter.
Her family are said to have asked the regional health service to respect her privacy while she remains in intensive care at the hospital.
There has been no comment by any of her four children, but wellwishers have offered the 65-year-old their support on social media. One said: ‘Get well soon Dolores. Portugal is with you.’ nother added: ‘Stay strong Dolores. Everything will be okay. We will be praying for you.’
New tests to evaluate her conditions and any side effects from the stroke she has reportedly suffered are not expected to take place until late this afternoon. One local TV report described the next 12 hours as ‘decisive’ and described Dolores’ stroke as ‘severe’.
Sporting Lisbon, where Ronaldo started his senior career before he signed for Manchester United, wished Dolores a speedy recovery today. Ronaldo’s mother is an ambassador for the club’s foundation.
The club said in a statement: ‘Sporting Clube de Portugal wishes Dolores Aveiro all the best and wishes she makes a speedy recovery.’
- Man City 1-0 Sheff. Wednesday: City moved to quarterfinal
- Serie A: Matches will be played behind closed doors until April 3
- Alexis Sanchez Transfer: Inter offer half of £400k-a-week wages
- Chelsea 2-0 Liverpool: Chelsea knocked Liverpool out of FA Cup
- Ronaldo rushed to Portugal amid report on mother’s stroke
- Coppa Italia Semifinal: Juventus vs AC Milan postponed
- Former Liverpool player Daniel Sturridge banned for betting breaches
- Carlo Ancelotti, Everton manager charged with misconduct by the FA
- Twitter Reactions to Ronaldo’s presence in Bernabeu for El Clásico
- Bruno Fernandes tweets after Manchester United draw vs Everton
- Everton 1-1 Man United: Bruno saved Unied after de Gea gaffe
- Real 2-0 Barcelona: El Clásico had all ingredients – including Ronaldo