Former Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge, who once formed a formidable combination with Luis Suarez and Raheem Sterling in Liverpool during 2013-14 season, has been banned from football for four months for breaching betting rules.
He was originally given a six-week ban last year, four of them suspended, but the FA appealed against the findings of an independent commission. An appeal board also doubled the 30-year-old’s fine to £150,000.
Sturridge’s contract with Turkish side Trabzonspor had been terminated by mutual agreement earlier on Monday.
In a video posted on his YouTube account Sturridge said it had been “a crazy few days” after the “disappointing and upsetting” decision ended his season.
He added: “I just want to say it’s been a very long and drawn out process over the last couple of years and difficult to concentrate on my football. “I’m going to continue to campaign for professional footballers to be able to speak to their families and close friends freely, without the real risk of being charged. He also added, “I feel the betting companies and the practice and process of people placing bets on players moving clubs has to be stopped.”
Daniel Sturridge in Premier League
Sturridge spent four years in the Aston Villa academy before moving to Coventry City. He then signed for Manchester City in 2003. He made first team appearance in Premier League in 2006-07 season.
After three seasons with City, he joined Chelsea, where he was there for four seasons. Later he moved to Liverpool, and this is where he along with Luis Suarez scored 52 goals in 2013-14 season of premier league. Later he had suffered from injury and eventually lost first team under Jurgen Klopp. Last year, he moved to Turkish side Trabzonspor.
|West Bromwich Albion||6||0||6||0|
Top Scorers in Premier League 2013-14
|3||Yaya Touré||Manchester City||20|
|4||Sergio Agüero||Manchester City||17|
|4||Wayne Rooney||Manchester United||17|
|6||Wilfried Bony||Swansea City||16|
|6||Edin Džeko||Manchester City||16|
- Alexis Sanchez Transfer: Inter offer half of £400k-a-week wages
- Chelsea 2-0 Liverpool: Chelsea knocked Liverpool out of FA Cup
- Ronaldo rushed to Portugal amid report on mother’s stroke
- Coppa Italia Semifinal: Juventus vs AC Milan postponed
- Former Liverpool player Daniel Sturridge banned for betting breaches
- Carlo Ancelotti, Everton manager charged with misconduct by the FA
- Twitter Reactions to Ronaldo’s presence in Bernabeu for El Clásico
- Bruno Fernandes tweets after Manchester United draw vs Everton
- Everton 1-1 Man United: Bruno saved Unied after de Gea gaffe
- Real 2-0 Barcelona: El Clásico had all ingredients – including Ronaldo
- Liverpool EPL Title: When & Where? Can they still miss it?