Inter Milan fought for a superb second-half comeback from 0-2 down to win 4-2 against AC Milan in Milan derby at San Siro, to go top of Serie A.
Inter started the campaign this season as underdog after they saw so many changes at every segment of the team, but Conte’s side showed immense character to top the table on goal difference.
Inter Milan vs AC Milan – Goals
Ante Rebic tapped home from Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s ball and minutes later the Swede himself headed in to provide Milan 2-0 lead before the break.
But Marcelo Brozovic volley from 25 yards went in, and then Alexis Sanchez provided a great ball for Matias Vecino, who stroked home in turn. Sanchez intercepted through pass from Godin and timed his run really well to avoid off-side trap. Stefan de Vrij and Romelu Lukaku, both scored from headers back-to-back to ensure Inter 3 points.
Antonio Conte’s side looked beaten after half-time due to a lethargic opening 45 minutes, but responded in sensational fashion in the second half with four spectacular goals.
Both sides hit the bar-post in a thrilling derby, Hakan Calhanoglu smashing the post with a low drive and Ibrahimovic heading against the post late on, while Inter’s January signing Christian Eriksen rattled the crossbar with a long-range free-kick.
Milan had been in good form under coach Stefano Pioli, losing just one of their previous 11 league games under the former Inter boss, but their second-half capitulation keeps them in 10th place.
Inter are now unbeaten in 16 league games and host Napoli on Wednesday, before a crucial clash against fellow title challengers Lazio next Sunday.
“It’s still very early to talk about something we can only dream of for now,” Conte told Sky Italia.
“We can have a dream. It’s a very intense period for us coming up and after that we’ll have a better idea of our potential and our real capabilities.
“We can’t achieve everything from one day to the next, but we are building. These guys proved they have great strength and guts today.”
Earlier on Sunday, Simone Inzaghi’s Lazio side showed their credentials by extending their unbeaten run to 18 games with a narrow 1-0 win at Parma – former Manchester City striker Felipe Caicedo scoring the winner.
- Inter 4-2 Milan: Inter fight back from 0-2 to win despite Zlatan onslaught
- Betis 2-3 Barcelona: Messi masterclass ensures Barca turnaround
- Osasuna 1-4 Real: Real Madrid fight back to win, stay clear at top
- Juventus 1:2 Verona – Champion stunned, Ronaldo set a new record
- Everton 3:1 Palace – Everton set for Champions League race
- Emmanuel Petit: Messi’d struggle in Premier League. He’s not Ronaldo!
- Bayern president labels Ronaldo ‘too old’, refuting transfer claim
- World’s highest paid footballers and managers in 2020
- Barcelona 0-1 Athletic – Barca knocked out of Copa del Rey at injury time
- Madrid 3-4 Sociedad – Odegaard, Isak dished Real a shocker