Liverpool have earned 100 points out of 102 available to them in the Premier League, winning 33 of their last 34 matches in the league while only failing to win against Manchester United at Old Traford in October 2019.
They have also equalled Manchester City’s record of 20 consecutive Premier League home wins and only Bill Shankly’s Liverpool team in 1972 had a longer winning streak on home soil in English top-flight history.
Even after the win, Reds manager Jugen Klopp is far from complacent, as he said, “We’re not even close to being perfect. We just look to use our skills in the best possible way. The boys have done that for a while pretty good and that’s why we have these numbers,”
Liverpool vs Southampton – Goals
Four second-half goals gave Liverpool a victory that extends their unbeaten run in the league to 42 games and means they have picked up 100 points from the last 102 available.
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain opened the tally for Reds, as he latched the ball low into the bottom corner.
Reds’ skipper Jordan Henderson made it 2-0 on the hour mark with a calm finish from the top of the penalty area, after being set up by Roberto Firmino.
Jordan Henderson then forwarded a through pass for Mohamed Salah, who scored Liverpool’s third and the Egyptian again combined with Roberto Firmino to add a fourth from close range in the last minute.
Salah has scored more home goals in this season’s Premier League (12) than any other player; indeed, since he joined Liverpool in 2017, only Lionel Messi (51) has more home goals in Europe’s big-five leagues than the Egyptian (44).
The scoreline was harsh on the visitors, who matched Liverpool for much of the first hour with Danny Ings going close in the first half and Shane Long also denied by home keeper Alisson.
It was Southampton’s first away defeat in five games and they fall to 11th place.
- Golden Shoe Race: Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, SerieA, Ligue1
- Premier League
- Spurs 2-0 City: Bergwin’s debut stike set Tottenham win over City
- Man United 0-0 Wolves: United lost points in Bruno debut-match
- Liverpool 4-0 Southampton: Reds move another step towards title
- Serie A
- Inter 2:0 Udinese – Lukaku’s brace lift Inter in second spot
- Juventus 3-0 Fiorentina: Ronaldo scored in nine straight games
- La Liga
- Barcelona 2:1 Levante – Fati, youngest player to score LaLiga double
- Real 1-0 Atletico: Zidane inspires Real to beat Atletico in Madrid derby
- Ligue 1
- PSG 5-0 Montpellier: PSG thump visitors; Mbappe and Neymar fume