Paris St-Germain moved 13 points clear at the top of Ligue 1, as PSG thrashed Montpellier 5-0 at Parc des Princes. It was a comfortable win for PSG against a side which ended with nine men.
PSG vs Montpellier – Goals
Pablo Sarabia curled shot from 25 yards, provided PSG 1-0 lead.
Montpellier’s hopes were all but over when Bertaud was sent off as he charged out of his box and was adjudged to have handled when saving a Mbappe effort. Montpellier protested furiously, but there would be no VAR reprieve.
Angel di Maria chipped over debutant keeper Matis Carvalho to double the lead before a Daniel Congre own goal.
Kylian Mbappe and Layvin Kurzawa also scored and Joris Chotard was shown a late red card for a foul on Presnel Kimpembe.
Mbappe furious on substitution
Mbappe, who had scored a goal, was furious to be replaced by Mauro Icardi in the second half.
The PSG striker tried to shrug off manager Thomas Tuchel, who was trying to speak to him and then brushed off a coach who wanted to hand him a jacket before skulking to his seat on the bench.
“It doesn’t look good, but we are not the only club where players react like that,” Tuchel said. “This team shows how professional and focused they are every day, but this gives the impression it’s not always like that, and I’m sad because it’s not necessary.
“I explained to him why he came off, and that will be that. I always make decisions for sporting reasons. This is football, not tennis, and you have to respect everyone.”
Neymar needed lengthy treatment after being injured by Montpellier’s Arnaud Souquet towards the end of the first half and angrily remonstrated with the fourth official in the tunnel at half-time.
- Golden Shoe Race: Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, SerieA, Ligue1
- Premier League
- Spurs 2-0 City: Bergwin’s debut stike set Tottenham win over City
- Man United 0-0 Wolves: United lost points in Bruno debut-match
- Liverpool 4-0 Southampton: Reds move another step towards title
- Serie A
- Inter 2:0 Udinese – Lukaku’s brace lift Inter in second spot
- Juventus 3-0 Fiorentina: Ronaldo scored in nine straight games
- La Liga
- Barcelona 2:1 Levante – Fati, youngest player to score LaLiga double
- Real 1-0 Atletico: Zidane inspires Real to beat Atletico in Madrid derby
- Ligue 1
- PSG 5-0 Montpellier: PSG thump visitors; Mbappe and Neymar fume