Manchester United get past Derby County at Pride Park Stadium in the fifth round of FA Cup to the quarter-final. Luke Shaw and Odion Ighalo scored the goals for United.
Manchester United new recruit took his tally to three goals after two starts(in six matches he played) for the club after Luke Shaw opened the Talley for Red.
Former United captain Wayne Rooney started against his old club but did not have an eventful outing for Derby barring some impressing passing from deep. There were some moments of anxiety for Reds, as Louie Sibley shot narrowly went wide and Wayne Rooney’s free-kick was saved by Sergio Romero.
Manchester United made a comeback, with Juan Mata and Ighalo denied by Kelle Roos before Shaw scored the first goal 33 minutes in. After Lingard and Bruno Fernandes shots were blocked, Luke Shaw attempted a half-volley and, the ball looped over the goalkeeper into goal. Luke Shaw’ has been in terrific form in recent weeks, and he showed his worth to Solskjaer again today.
Ighalo got the second before the break, while sandwiched between Craig Forsyth and Max Lowe and poking the ball into the bottom-left corner.
Derby County started the second half positively and twice came close to scoring goals. Romero somehow saved Max Bird’s shot which was on its way after defection, and Martyn Waghorn’s head from a Jayden Bogle cross missed the target narrowly. For United, Shaw and Mata were denied by Roos, and then Solskjaer withdrew sensational Fernandes ahead of Manchester derby on Monday.
Manchester United sealed the victory, as Ighalo exchanged passes with Mata and, he scored from a rebound. Rooney almost got on the scoresheet, but United’s Argentine keeper made a flying save to tip his free-kick over the bar.
Manchester United are into the quarter-finals for the sixth consecutive seasons. They will face Manchester City on Monday before a Europa League round-of-16 match against LASK next Friday. They will have Tottenham and Europa league matches respectively at Old Trafford.
Solskjaer’s team have not tasted defeat in last nine matches in all competitions and will be hoping to continue the momentum.
- Man City 1-0 Sheff. Wednesday: City moved to quarterfinal
- Serie A: Matches will be played behind closed doors until April 3
- Alexis Sanchez Transfer: Inter offer half of £400k-a-week wages
- Chelsea 2-0 Liverpool: Chelsea knocked Liverpool out of FA Cup
- Ronaldo rushed to Portugal amid report on mother’s stroke
- Coppa Italia Semifinal: Juventus vs AC Milan postponed
- Former Liverpool player Daniel Sturridge banned for betting breaches
- Carlo Ancelotti, Everton manager charged with misconduct by the FA
- Twitter Reactions to Ronaldo’s presence in Bernabeu for El Clásico