The award recognises the best keeper on the planet and is awarded by Ballon d’Or organisers France Football.
This year has an exciting list of ten goal-keepers who helped their side’s to success.
Manchester City keeper Ederson was instrumental in their Premier League title triumph last season and was also part of the Brazil squad that reached the Copa America final. He also won the Carabao Cup with City and won the Golden Glove for the second successive year by recording 19 clean sheets in the Premier League.
Chelsea’s Mendy, who helped his side win the Champions League with a string of impressive displays in the tournament, joins the Brazilian.
Two other goal-keepers join the duo from the Premier League—Emiliano Martinez and Peter Schmeichel.
Aston Villa goal-keeper Martinez was part of Argentina’s Copa America triumph. At the same time, Schmeichel helped Leicester beat Chelsea to win the FA Cup last season and was also part of the Denmark squad that thrilled in the 2020 European Championship.
The Nominees for Lev Yashin Award 2021
- Gianluigi Donnarumma – Italy – AC Milan/ Paris Saint-Germain
- Ederson – Brazil – Manchester City
- Kasper Schmeichel – Denmark – Leicester City
- Edouard Mendy – Senegal – Chelsea
- Thibaut Courtois – Belgium – Real Madrid
- Keylor Navas – Costa Rica – Paris Saint-Germain
- Emiliano Martinez – Argentina – Aston Villa
- Manuel Neuer – Germany – Bayern Munich
- Jan Oblak – Slovenia – Atletico Madrid
- Samir Handanovic – Slovenia – Inter Milan