Arsenal beat Newcastle 4-0 at Emirates Stadium, to pick up their seventh Premier League victory of the season. Arsenal moved to the 10th position of the Premier League to fight for the champions league slot.
Arsenal have drawn 13 times previously in this premier leaguein this review a Premier League season and they have had lacklustre first half performance, only to make a superb comeback in the second-half.
But the hosts sprung into action immediately after Eddie Nketiah’s missed the sitter from a Nicolas Pepe’s cutback, hitting the top of the crossbar.
Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal broke the deadlock on 54 minutes when Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang headed home from a Pepe cross, and then Pepe, himself doubled the lead just within three minutes of the first goal.
Mesut Ozil scored third goal from substitute Alexandre Lacazette’s pass and the Frenchman converted the fourth from 18 yards in injury-time.
Newcastle continued to play attacking game but were restricted to few opportunities – the dangerous Allan Saint-Maximin’s curling strike hit the post.
Arsenal’s win put them up into the top half once again of the table in 10th place.
Mikel Arteta, Arsenal manager
“After the break we started saying we had to start closing the gap on the top teams and turn draws into wins. Today was the first opportunity and we’ve done it. All good.
“I’m so pleased for Laca [Alexandra Lacazette] – the reaction of the players and staff towards him. He fights hard for everyone. He’s been unlucky. He will gain confidence from this and knows how everyone appreciates him.”
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Arsenal captain
“We started not at our best but in the second half we put some more energy in and we scored the goals.
“We spoke at half-time and the coach told me to stay as a second striker and take my position off Eddie [Nketiah]. They were playing very deep and compact so it was good for us to have me in the middle to give more space out wide.”
- Arsenal 4-0 Newcastle: Gunners produced Superb Second-half show
- Aston Villa 2-3 Tottenham: Spurs snatched victory with a injury-time goal
- Juventus 2-0 Brescia: Juve sail past Brescia without Ronaldo, Dybala shines
- Amiens 4-4 PSG: 17-year-old Tanguy Kouassi scored a double for PSG
- Barcelona 2-1 Getafe: La Liga Champion struggle to get past Getafe
- Dortmund 4-0 Eintracht: Sancho, Haaland score again in Dortmund win
- Manchester City banned from UEFA competitions for next two seasons
- Milan 1-1 Juventus: Ronaldo scored from a spot-kick at Injury time
- Top 10 Countries with highest number of Ballon d’Or Wins