Barcelona struggle to beat Getafe 2-1 in Camp Nou to go to the top of La Liga table, as Griezmann and Sergi Roberto score for defending champion. However, they are jointly there with Real Madrid, who currently have superior goal-difference and have played one match less.
Allan Nyom look like putting third-placed Getafe ahead, but his goal was ruled out by the video assistant referee for committing a foul on Samuel Umtiti before tapping in the ball on the rebound.
Antoine Griezmann puts Barca ahead from Lionel Messi’s excellent first-time pass, and Sergi Roberto scored their second from Junior Firpo’s cross.
Angel Rodriguez’s volley on a centre from the right flank, puts Getafe back in the game at 66th minute and set up for a tense finish.
The 32-year-old, who Barcelona were considering signing in an emergency deal, guided home a superb finish between two centre-backs and from 18 yards out from Jaime Mata’s cross. None of the defenders and goalkeeper ter Stegen had any chance to react. That was his eighth goal as a substitute this season.
Getafe almost rescued a point, but Marc-Andre ter Stegen’s excellent save denied Angel a second.
As per La Liga rules, if a player is out for more than five months, then the concerned club can apply to sign one player from another La Liga club. With Ousmane Dembele ruled out with a hamstring injury for up to six months – and Luis Suarez also sidelined with a knee injury – Barca have been looking at several short-term options, including Angel, who has a £7.5m buyout clause.
Messi has now failed to score in four successive matches in La Liga – although he had set up Barca’s previous six league goals before Roberto’s strike.
Real Madrid can re-establish points lead in La liga when they host next match against Celta Vigo, if they win or hold the visitor for a draw.
- Dortmund 4-0 Eintracht: Sancho, Haaland score again in Dortmund win
- Manchester City banned from UEFA competitions for next two seasons
- Milan 1-1 Juventus: Ronaldo scored from a spot-kick at Injury time
- Top 10 Countries with highest number of Ballon d’Or Wins
- Inter 0-1 Napoli: Ruiz put Napoli ahead in Coppa Italia Semifinal
- End of Sarri in Juventus? Italian Media discussing possible replacements
- UEFA Champions League 2019-20: Winning odds for teams
- PSG 4-2 Lyon: PSG comfortably win without injured Neymar