Manchester United are closing in on a deal with Bruno Fernandes of Sporting Lisbon, claimed Portuguese journalist Filipe Dias.
Bruno Fernandes during Last Summer
The 25-year-old Portugal international was a target for Premier League clubs, like Manchester United and Tottenham during last summer. He eventually stayed at the Primeira Liga club, signing an improved contract in November.
Club tried to raise the salary to calm him down a little bit and to compensate for the fact that a deal in the summer didn’t go through.
Bruno later claimed in August that Sporting blocked a move to Tottenham in the summer after expressing a desire to play in England. Dias, the editor in chief of ‘O Jogo’, claimed the decision took its toll on the player.
Now, it is being suggested that the 25-year-old could wrap up a move to Old Trafford this month after it was confirmed that Sporting president Frederico Varandas and sporting director Hugo Viana have been discussing the deal with United chiefs.
Financial issues at Sporting are thought to be behind the club being more receptive to the move than they were in the summer.
Manchester United Manager in Portugal
Reports in Portugal have claimed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his assistant manager, Mike Phelan, went to watch Fernandes in action against Porto on Sunday. However, the United boss refused to answer questions on the matter on Friday.
United are in need players and are actively looking at transfer options before the injuries to Scott McTominay and Paul Pogba. Of the current squad, only Juan Mata was a January acquisition; Manchester United don’t have records successful businesses during this window.
Ole Solskjaer had earlier said he wants his squad to emerge stronger rather than weaker from this window. Now he also has the resources to bring in players, as Ashley Young, current United captain, is moving to Italy.
Bruno Fernandes needs another challenge
“When the deal with Tottenham didn’t go through, it didn’t affect Bruno Fernandes’ game, but it did affect him mentally,” Dias said.
“He is the team captain, and he never stops complaining, arguing with referees all the time. You can see that he is fed up, he is a top-quality player, and he needs another challenge.
“Here in Portugal when you have a big player who is attracted to the market, sometimes clubs to reinforce their position negotiation-wise, they review the contract.
“They raised the salary a little bit, but what they want is to increase the release clause, so they have more power when it comes to negotiating.”
- Manchester United closing in on signing Bruno Fernandes of Sporting
- Ashley Young rejected contract extension after a call from Lukaku
- Joao Felix confronted Lionel Messi, teammates placated the duo
- Liverpool to decide on Chukwueze, Bailey, Sancho and Dembele
- List of ten Most Valuable Serie-A players for 2019-20 session
- Golden Shoe Race: Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, SerieA, Ligue1
- Italian press hail Cristiano Ronaldo and Romelu Lukaku’s heroics
- Salary of every Liverpool player for 2019-20 session
- Cristiano Ronaldo Hat-trick buried detractors and controversies
- Sadio Mane named CAF African Footballer of the year award