Defending champion Barcelona beat Real Sociedad 1-0 at Camp Nou, to replace Real Madrid as La Liga topper. Lionel Messi scored the all important goal eight minutes to the regular time. Real Madrid have played a match less and will play Real Betis today.
Barcelona vs Real Sociedad – Goal
The home side’s spot-kick was awarded for Robin le Normand’s handball, which the referee saw on the pitchside monitor, allowing Messi to convert.
What the scoreboard won’t tell
- Barca thought they have doubled their lead on 95th minute when Jordi Alba converted an Ansu Fati effort, but at the end the teenager was adjudged to be offside by VAR.
- Former Middlesbrough striker Martin Braithwaite, who signed for Barcelona in an emergency transfer, was dangerous in the first half. He had been active in right flank and made couple of efforts, only to be denied by Sociedad goalkeeper.
- Messi seemed to be having an off day when he side-footed a shot wide from 10 yards out and curled another off target, but the skipper proved to be the match winner, clipping home an 81st minute penalty for his 19th league goal of the season.
Results and Records
- Barcelona have one each of their 21 La Liga matches at home, against real Sociedad, with 12 clean-sheets.
- Barcelona have scored in each of the 32 La Liga matches against Real Sociedad at Camp Nou, totalling 72 goals.
- The last 10 season season no other team has been in Barcelona more than Real Sociedad, they and Real Madrid own against Barca 5 time each.
- Barcelona continue their unbeaten run for last 25 home La Liga matches.
We knew that it would be a tremendously difficult game, (Real Sociedad), I think, had won their last six games, including one at the (Estadio Santiago) Bernabeu … Apart from certain phases, we controlled the game. Then, we had difficult moments, but we created danger . We won thanks to VARQuique Setien , Manager Barcelona
No one likes it when the crowd are against you, and even more so at your own stadium. I respect everyone, but they also have to respect me. The attitude is good and every player left everything on the field.Jordi Alba, Barcelona on Camp Nou crowd whistling the team for poor performance
- Real Betis 2-1 Real Madrid: Zidane’s ‘Worst game of the season’
- Juventus 2-0 Inter: Ramsey, Dybala scored, as Juve moved to top
- Man United 2-0 Man City: Bruno, McTominay made the difference
- Chelsea 4-0 Everton: Ancelotti’s return to Stamford Bridge was a disaster
- Bournemouth 1-2 Liverpool: Salah, Mane led fight back, Reds back on track
- Barcelona 1-0 Sociedad: Messi and VAR put Barca at the top of La Liga
- Arsenal 1-0 West Ham: Lacazette clinched victory for Arsenal