Defending champion Barcelona beat Mallorca 5-2 to move top of La Liga. Lionel Messi celebrated winning his sixth Ballon d’Or with a hat-trick, and Antonio Grizmann ended his drought in front of goal.
The Barcelona wizard scored two excellent finishes from a distance before squashing in a third off the bottom of the crossbar. Antoine Griezmann had opened the tally for Barca, with Luis Suarez netting a wonderfully executed backheel. Ante Budimir scored two consolation goals for Mallorca.
Messi exhibited his Ballon d’Or 2019 trophy – awarded for the best player in the world – to the Nou Camp crowd before the match. He was accompanied by his children, spouse, and teammates alongside him. And he finished the match with his 35th La Liga hat-trick, breaking the record of Cristiano Ronaldo.
Barcelona were excellent at times, particularly in the first half, with some fantastic passing movement. However, their first goal came when Griezmann chased onto Marc-Andre ter Stegen’s long goal-kick before clipping the ball over the goalkeeper.
Griezmann then set up Messi’s first, a fine curling effort from 25 yards. Budimir scored a deflected strike for Mallorca, before Messi scored a similar goal to his first, this time from an Ivan Rakitic pass.
Luis Suarez scored the best goal of the game, however. An excellent passing move ended with Frenkie de Jong finding Suarez, who backheeled the ball into the ground and over goalkeeper Manolo Reina.
- Premier League
- Tottenham vs Burnley: Spurs look like a different side, win 5-0
- Liverpool vs Bournemouth: Liverpool look like champion this time, win 3-0
- Man United vs Man City: James, Rashford and Martial shine in United win
- La Liga
- Barcelona vs Mallorca: Messi scored a hat-trick as Barcelona win 5-2
- Real Madrid vs Espanyol: 10 men Real beat Espanyol 2-0
- Atletico vs Villarreal: ‘Toothless’ Atletico at 7th place in table
- Serie A
- Inter vs Roma: Conte slammed San Siro jeers after draw
- Juventus vs Lazio: 10 men Juventus lost to Lazio 1-3
- Bayern vs Mönchengladbach: Bayern conceded the lead to lose 1-2
- Dortmund vs Fortuna: BVB destroyed Dusseldoft 5-0
- Ligue 1
- PSG vs Montpellier: Neymar inspired late comeback, as PSG win 3-1