Borussia Monchengladbach stayed at the top of the Bundesliga table on Saturday as Ramy Bensebaini scored twice in a 2-1 comeback win over defending champions Bayern Munich.
Bayern – who have been winning the title for the past seven years on a row – are now in seventh place, seven points behind Gladbach.
Ivan Perisic gave the visitors the lead just after the break, but the score was levelled by Bensebaini header at 60th minute of the match.
Along with the equaliser by a header, Ramy Bensebaini also scored an injury-time penalty to seal a dramatic victory after Javi Martinez fouled Marcus Thuram inside the penalty box and hence was sent off. Bayern Munich had to replace Corentin Tolisso due to hamstring injury in first half of the match.
Unfortunately for Bayern had their control of the first 60 minutes of the match, the later part was decisive. ‘Gladbach leads the Bundesliga in interceptions per match, averaging 13.3 over this first half of the season. On Bayern’s side, they average 9.8. This shows that they fought for each ball, which always has the potential to make a difference in score.
No wonder, Borussia Monchengladbach, who last won the title in 1977, are at the top of the table, one point above RB Leipzig, and had seven-point difference with defending champion Bayern Munich after this match.
With this loss, Bayern Munich have now lost two league games in a row under interim boss Hans-Dieter Flic.
- Premier League
- Tottenham vs Burnley: Spurs look like a different side, win 5-0
- Liverpool vs Bournemouth: Liverpool look like champion this time, win 3-0
- Man United vs Man City: James, Rashford and Martial shine in United win
- La Liga
- Barcelona vs Mallorca: Messi scored a hat-trick as Barcelona win 5-2
- Real Madrid vs Espanyol: 10 men Real beat Espanyol 2-0
- Atletico vs Villarreal: ‘Toothless’ Atletico at 7th place in table
- Serie A
- Inter vs Roma: Conte slammed San Siro jeers after draw
- Juventus vs Lazio: 10 men Juventus lost to Lazio 1-3
- Bayern vs Mönchengladbach: Bayern conceded the lead to lose 1-2
- Dortmund vs Fortuna: BVB destroyed Dusseldoft 5-0
- Ligue 1
- PSG vs Montpellier: Neymar inspired late comeback, as PSG win 3-1