Paris St-Germain came back from behind to beat 10-man Montpellier 3-1 at Stade de la Mosson, and go eight points clear at the top of Ligue 1.
Montpellier had led through own goal by Leandro Paredes’, but the game changed when Neymar earned a freekick 30 yard from goal. Pedro Mendes had no other option but to trip him. This led to Leonardo’s sent off (for two bookings) at 72′ of the match. Subsequently, PSG scored three goals within eight minutes, .
Neymar broke the jinx with a free-kick that ballooned into the upper right corner of the post, and then Kylian Mbappe scored his 40th goal from 39 league matches. Before that, another Neymar freekick hit the post. Mauro Icardi scored from Mbappe’s cross at 81″, to make sure of PSG victory.
Even though PSG don’t have a dearth of talent, at times when they were stuck, we saw Neymar helped them through. This match was no exception.
In-form Angel Di Maria did not find a place in starting eleven, with coach Thomas Tuchel preferring Mbappe, Neymar, and Icardi up in the front.
PSG lost two players to injuries within first 25 minutes, with center back Presnel Kimpembe and midfielder Idrissa Gueye limping off the pitch due to muscle problems.
They were replaced by Abdou Diallo and Tanguy Kouassi as the visitors struggled to find their rhythm.
PSG lost Presnel Kimpembe and Idrissa Gueye to first-half injuries. They have now used 30 players or more, in their 16 league games this season, which is more than any other team in Europe’s top five leagues.
- Premier League
- Tottenham vs Burnley: Spurs look like a different side, win 5-0
- Liverpool vs Bournemouth: Liverpool look like champion this time, win 3-0
- Man United vs Man City: James, Rashford and Martial shine in United win
- La Liga
- Barcelona vs Mallorca: Messi scored a hat-trick as Barcelona win 5-2
- Real Madrid vs Espanyol: 10 men Real beat Espanyol 2-0
- Atletico vs Villarreal: ‘Toothless’ Atletico at 7th place in table
- Serie A
- Inter vs Roma: Conte slammed San Siro jeers after draw
- Juventus vs Lazio: 10 men Juventus lost to Lazio 1-3
- Bayern vs Mönchengladbach: Bayern conceded the lead to lose 1-2
- Dortmund vs Fortuna: BVB destroyed Dusseldoft 5-0
- Ligue 1
- PSG vs Montpellier: Neymar inspired late comeback, as PSG win 3-1