Captain of Spanish national team and Real Madrid, Sergio Ramos has said Spain needs football to boost the economy and to distract fans as La Liga eyes a June return after coronavirus outbreak halted football events across the globe.
A mid-June resumption has been touted for the 2019-20 campaign in Spain, where Barca topped the table ahead of Madrid through 27 matches.
La Liga president Javier Tebas previously suggested that June 12 could be a possible date for La Liga return, if the top flying league gets approval from Health Authorities for ‘go ahead’.
Getting going needs time, the country needs football as an economic boost and the people need it as a distraction.
I’m dying to compete once again, for La Liga Santander to be normal again, we have to be disciplined so that we can eliminate this Coronavirus.
I want to send a message of support to everyone who has lost a loved one, we’ll get through this, and have to come together.Sergio Ramos on how he feels about football and people of Spain after Coronavirus outbreak (on Movistar)
Though Ramos looked very happy and eager to return, Barcelona defender Gerard Pique sounded cautious, and said that Tebas’ proposal of June 12 could be a little too soon.
I have heard Javier talk about playing again from June 12th … We’ve spent a lot of time out of action, and we have to keep in mind we need to get prepared to avoid the risk of injuries. If I can contribute my opinion, a few more days wouldn’t hurt us.Gerard Piqué on the risk of injuries due to long layoff of all players before it get started in June (on Movistar)
Germany’s Bundesliga will restart on May 16 and as La Liga teams return via individual training sessions while adhering social-distancing measures,
We have to go to Valdebebas in divided zones and following the rules, it’s a bit abnormal and complicated but the situation requires it.
It will be La Liga who take decisions, Germany has set the example we have to follow. We like being with our families but we have to be flexible too.Sergio Ramos on the rules that everybody needs to follow (on Movistar)
Madrid were two points behind defending champions Barca with 11 matches remaining when the season was suspended due to coronavirus.
Ramos said when asked about Madrid trying to overhaul Barca.
Without fans, making a prediction is a bit brave. Our objective is to be champions.Sergio Ramos on Real Madrid taking on Barcelona for La Liga crown (on Movistar)
- Spain and Real Madrid Captain Ramos: The Country needs football
- Super Lig: Besiktas installed Disinfection Cabinet at training ground
- Government ‘ok’ for Premier League restart behind closed-doors from June 1
- La Liga president Tebas wants June 12 restart with matches everyday
- Giggs: Only four escaped Ferguson’s ‘hairdryer treatment’ at United
- Mbappe wants to share Ligue 1 Golden Boot with Ben Yedder
- Man United to make Goalkeeper decision: De Gea or Henderson?
- Bukayo Saka: With Arsenal deal pending, receives Liverpool interest
- Transfer: Real Madrid end interest to sign Paul Pogba
- Cavani open to an extension at PSG, amid interest from Inter and Atletico