Flamengo, reigning Brazilian and Copa Libertadores champion, announced the permanent signing of Gabriel Barbosa from Inter Milan until 2024. The Rubonegro released a video via their official Twitter account with the caption: “Confirmed! Gabigol is a Manegao.”
The player himself confirmed that he would be staying with Flamengo via a Tweet from his official Twitter account. As per reports in Italy and Brazil, Flamengo have bought 80% of the rights to Gabigol for a fee of €17-19 million with Inter Milan retaining 20% ownership.
The 2019 Copa Libertadores, Brazilian Serie A champions and Club World Cup runners up had made “Gabigol” to be their top priority in the transfer window.
Barbosa was Flamengo’s leading scorer in the campaign that led to the club’s first South American championship in 38 years and its seventh Brazilian title. Gabigol scored two goals in three minutes to help Flamengo win the Liberadores Cup. The striker scored 43 goals last year, equaling Neymar’s best scoring seasons in 2010-2012, when he was playing for Santos.
After his loan deal expired in December, Gabigol was a target of West Ham as well as many other European clubs. However, he had his priorities to be with Flamengo.
Gabigol joined the Nerazzurri in the summer of 2016 from Santos in a reported €29.5m transfer. After scoring just one goal in nine appearances for Inter, he was loaned to Benfica for the 2017-18 campaign but played only 165 minutes for the Portuguese outfit before seeing his loan deal come to an early end.
His loan spell at former club Santos in 2018 was also proved to be successful, with the forward scoring 18 goals in 35 appearances.
- Solskjaer confirms Alexis Sanchez will return to United in summer
- Flamengo sign Gabriel Barbosa ‘Gabigol’ from Inter for €17m
- Arsenal 2-1 Bournemouth – Saka and brigade keeping fans optimistic
- Real Madrid 1:0 Valladolid – Zidane found winning formula sans #7
- PSG 2:0 Lille – Neymar remember Kobe Bryant after second goal
- Inter 1:1 Cagliari – Martinez saw red, to be handed 3 match ban
- Bayern 5-0 Schalke: Lewandowski scores, Bayern at second spot
- Barcelona 0-2 Valencia: Maxi Gomez hands Setien first La Liga defeat
- Milan 1-0 Brescia: Rebic scored, Milan at sixth spot in Serie-A
- Dortmund 5:1 Köln – Haaland scored double in Dortmund win
- Is Manchester United bringing back Carlos Tevez in a loan deal