Tottenham managed to have three points, as they beat Wolves 2-1 in Premier league match in Molineux Stadium. As the match was poised to 1-1 draw, Jan Vertonghen headed a dramatic late winner. With this win, Spurs ended Wolves’ 11-match unbeaten Premier League run to be at number five on the table, three points away from top four.
Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho described this as “incredible three points” against a Wolves team he believes can challenge for the Champions League places.
Vertonghen headed in from a corner in injury time, after Wolves’ relentless approach had been rewarded as Adama Traore thumped in a deserved equalizer from the edge of the box midway through the second half.
On Wolves, Mourinho said: “My feeling is they are fighting for more than they said. They are not just there for the top six. They can do more. They are a fantastic team. This is a big victory.
“This game is a special game because the opponent is a special opponent. Nuno [Espirito Santo] has to be very proud of Wolves’ record.”
On his own side’s progress, he added: “We went about a year without winning a Premier League game away, and we’ve managed two in a short amount of time. Now we are not looking to the bottom of the table; we’re looking higher up.”
After a breathless opening of the match, Lucas Moura’s crazy run and exquisite finish into the roof of the net had put Tottenham ahead after eight minutes.
Spurs had to withstand intense pressure as Wolves chased an equalizer, but it was they who went closest before half-time as Eric Dier struck the post from Dele Alli’s delightful, dinked pass.
Tottenham goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga produced an excellent save from Romain Saiss’ header in the closing stages as Mourinho’s visitors appeared to be hanging on, before Vertonghen’s decisive goal.
- Premier League
- Liverpool vs Wartford: Salah braces ensure Red win over Wartford
- Tottenham 2-1 Wolves: Vertonghen earned late winner for Spurs
- Manchester United 1-1 Everton: Draw saw United at 6th place in table
- Manchester City 3-0 Arsenal: De Bruyne braces helped City to win
- Bayern vs Werder: Bayern win 6-1, Coutinho scored hat-trick, Lewandowski braces
- Dortmund vs Mainz: Dortmund win 4-0, Sancho scored consecutive six
- La Liga
- Barcelona vs Real Sociedad: Barca held for a 2-2 draw
- Real Madrid 1:1 Valencia: Benzema scored equaliser during final moments
- Serie A
- Juventus 3-1 Udinese: Ronaldo-Dybala-Higuain start, Ronaldo scores double
- Inter Milan 1-1 Fiorentina: Inter concede lead to draw at injury time
- Ligue 1
- PSG 4-0 St.Etlenne: Mbappe, Paredes and Icardi score